Portable terminals

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Mon Sep 10 14:02:48 CDT 2018

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard-HP-100LX-Palmtop-PC-with-CF-
> card-PCMCIA-adaptor-instructions/392120231070
>
> It's $30 more than your android device -- I don't know if that falls
> into the category of "ridiculously expensive" or not.  I see them sell
> between $50 and $125 fairly regularly.

I was thinking more of the HP200LX price point when I made my comment. However, I would say that is still too expensive. You still need the serial adapter which usually adds at least another $30 to the cost and for what? You get an old device with no support for modern HW and limited ability to run SW. Now I am not bashing the HP LX series. They are great pocket DOS machines, which is all you need for a simple VT100 terminal app, so they will get the job done.  However, for possibly less money, an android tablet gives you faster HW, modern networking (wifi), a better screen, more storage, and access to much more SW.

-Ali

p.s. The caveat is of course if you get something like the Gemini. That looks like a very nice machine but at 599 British pounds I rather get a Sony UX series and have a real PC or the HP LX200. The key, at least for me, is finding a no name Android tablet w/ the basics that runs Android 7 or above at that $50 to $75 price point.