SPARCstation 20 with SCSI2SD

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:33:24 CST 2018

For fully potted parts like the 48T59, I make four cuts along the sides of
the encapsulation, on the short ends I cut until I hit metal (pins coming
up from the IC to the crystal/battery). On the long ends I just cut deep
enough to get through the pot shell and into the potting compound a little.
Then I put a small chisel or large screwdriver in one of the cuts on the
short ends, and strike it with a small ball peen hammer. This will usually
split the encapsulation right off, but sometimes you have to flip it over
and do the same on the other short end.

I probably need to do a writeup on fully potted parts, like the 48T59 and
DS1287.

Thanks,
Jonathan