Battery warning in Falco terminals

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 22:49:36 CST 2018

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Kossow via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 6:29 PM
Subject: Battery warning in Falco terminals

> I've been helping the MAME guys simulate a TS-2624, which is a block mode HP emulating terminal.
> I had bought this a while ago, and never dumped the firmware. Unfortunately there is a large
> NiCd battery right in the middle of the board that leaked all over. I've taken some pictures
> which are up under falco on bitsavers.
>
> If anyone has one of these, you want to do battery mitigation ASAP. I'm in the middle of replacing
> every socket on the board since they were all within range of the leakage corrosion.
>
> Also, I suspect the first generation of terminals all have similar hardware with different
> firmware, so if someone has any of the other models (TS-1, etc.) we could get them simulated
> pretty easily once the firmware is dumped.

I'm confused; I've got at least one TS-2624 board which is identical to yours and also several TS-1s and TS-1SPs, but they all had the backup battery in the power supply so, although the power supplies were damaged, the Main boards were not (although it's amazing how far the corrosion can migrate).

The TS-1s and TS2624s were very similar but certainly not the same board.

I've also got some of the newer Fame style models; guess I should look at those but if they have the pox then it's probably too late.

FWIW, I've also got a bit of documentation for these and various other Falco terminals (User, programming & service) but alas, not for the 2624; I can also certainly dump any firmware that I have.

mike