Font for DEC indicator panels

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Nov 12 16:04:46 CST 2018

> On Nov 12, 2018, at 4:52 PM, David Bridgham via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

>>> "DIN 1451 Fette Breitschrift 1936".  That is probably the
>>> font next to the knob on the right and the bit numbers above the
>>> switches.
>>
>> Yeah, that latter is the one we're looking for (mostly).
>

> I was able to download a version of that one that worked but I don't
> think I like the results.  One problem is that the instance of the font
> I found didn't have a bold face version.  You can see the results here.
>
> http://pdp10.froghouse.org/qsic/inlay-rk11-f.pdf

The name of the font translates to "Bold Extended".  DIN 1451 is a family of fonts, see Wikipedia.  You're looking at one of the members of the family, the bold wide one.  It's not all that bold, judging by the pictures; if you need something bolder still you may be out of luck.

That also suggests that the DEC font isn't this one.  Could it simply be Helvetica?

	paul