RS6k 7012/320H woes

Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez ce.murillosanchez at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:12:10 CST 2018

Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:
> For loading the diagnostic from diskettes diskettes see the section
> "running diagnostic program from diskette" in the previously mentioned
> "Diagnostic Information for Microchannel Systems"  the key switch has
> to be in the service (wrench) position insert the appropriate boot
> diskette there are two  8MB of memory and >16MB of memory turn on
> power and after the self test it should start reading the diskette and
> when it finishes it will display C01 to prompt for the next diskette
> if that does not happen either the image is bad or there is a problem
> with the diskette drive.  There is a reasonable good chance that there
> is an issue with the diskette drive, especially if it was sitting on a
> carpeted floor.  Typically the diskette drive was rarely used and the
> fans in the system will draw air in through the diskette drive
> carrying all kinds of contamination with it, you may want to open the
> drive up and clean it out and clean the heads.  It is very likely that
> the diskette drive in the machine has the power lines in the ribbon
> cable instead of a separate power connector making replacements hard
> to find.
>
> As for the serial there is only one scenario that works fully pined
> cables with a null modem that matches the wiring of   the printer
> terminal interposer.
>
> I don't think that an ethernet card is going to be a big help if you
> want to use the AIX that is on the disk as you have no way of
> configuring the ethernet network unless you can get a terminal
> working.  Another roadblock may be the root password, it is possible
> to break in when you have physical access to the machine however you
> still need a terminal and you also need original install media at the
> same level of AIX or a mksysb backup tape from the same level of AIX
> to boot into maintenance mode.  The original install media for a
> machine of this vintage would have been a tape or lots and lots of
> diskettes.
>
> Getting diagnostics to work would be a really good start.
>
> The AIX on the SP2 would have been the same, in fact the hardware on
> the SP2 nodes was similar to the regular RS/6000 boxes except the
> console was through a special serial network in the frame and accessed
> through the control workstation.  Most regular users likely accessed
> the nodes through a LAN.
>
> Paul.

Thank you, I'll double check the null cable and clean the diskette
drive.  The diagnostics disk's images that I found are simply labeled
"AIX diagnostics" with four 1.44MB images named disk1-disk4; there is no
mention of different versions according to RAM size.

I suppose that if I wanted to reset the root password I could mount the
HD on another system, bvi the raw disk, look for the "root:" string and
edit the next few bytes...  but right now it seems like the AIX
installation in that disk is hosed anyway.

We did connect via LAN to Cornell's SP2.  I loved that everything just
worked.  Later, Cornell retired that system and replaced it with an NT
Velocity cluster.  The user experience was nowhere near as good.

carlos.