A very sad PDP-8/S

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Nov 3 13:30:54 CDT 2018

On 11/02/2018 11:13 PM, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:
> This is rather sad.
> I've received a PDP-8/S. It turns out to be missing so much, that it's probably beyond restoration.
> Anyone who can think of potential ways to find the missing parts, please speak up.
>
> http://everist.org/pics/PDP-8S/
>
> Missing:
>
>   - Front panel PCB,
>   - Case top AND bottom,
>   - Power supply.
>   - Some flip-chip slots are empty. Not sure if supposed to be.
>
> Also there's no sign of any I/O circuitry.
>
> A curse on slack people who remove stuff from a machine for servicing or whatever,
> then never got around to putting it back. Resulting in this kind of tragedy.
Well, the most serious thing is the front panel board.  The
switches appear to be there, which would be the hardest
thing to replace. You could make a display board by hand,
there really aren't that many LEDs t (or bulbs, if you are a
purist) to it.

The I/O was all external on the early 8's, except for maybe
the console serial port.
Power supplies should be easy to whip up.  I'm not sure the
8S actually HAD a case top and bottom, all the ones I've
seen were bare like yours.

Jon