Restoring a PC Server 500 P/390

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Tue May 15 10:35:06 CDT 2018

> On May 14, 2018, at 11:29 PM, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm at gmail.com> wrote:

It is pretty picky.  It did not run in a whitebox PC I had at the time, but the PC Server 325 was close enough to its expected host that it was happy.  I would guess that any of the IBM x86 server machines from the right general era would work.

That machine now lives at the Living Computer Museum in Seattle, although I do not know if they have it available for use.

> It’s the RAID card that’s the problem, and it seems to have always been temperamental. Did you use RAID in your P/325?

I don’t think I did.  Have you tried just putting a different (OS/2-supported) disk controller in and just not doing RAID?

>> I used mine to run VM/CMS and Linux (under VM) quite well.
>>

> I was thinking of trying Linux. I assume you ran Debian?

Indeed I did, although also SLES.  I assume you found my NASPA article on Debian on 390 from 2004?

Adam