Zenith Z-90 startup

Mister PDP vintagecomputersmn at gmail.com
Sat May 12 14:29:36 CDT 2018

Hello,

I have had this issue with a number of H/Z89s I have. The terminal board
and the logic board are two separate systems, so it seems to be common for
the logic board to go down while the terminal board keeps working. I would
check voltages on the logic board, then take it out of look for blown
tantalum caps and burnt traces. The tantalum caps used in these systems
seems to like to cause issues, with 5\8 of my systems experiencing issues
with them. If that doesn't do the trick then check the power regulators on
the logic board, as those can cause issues too.

I'm not too familiar with the terminal setting on these systems, but I
would check the DIP switch settings with the manual and see if there are
any settings changed. There are many good sources for the manuals online
last time I checked