Restoring a PC Server 500 P/390

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 05:57:21 CDT 2018

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 at 09:40, Dave Wade via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Just to say I now have a bootable copy of the OS on SD card.

Well done!

> I got caught out because OS2 wildcarding works like UNIX wild carding, not MSDOS wild carding.
> So in order to back up the "C" drive you need "XCOPY C:\*   ...". I instinctively used "*.*" which misses out a whole bunch of files, especially those used by the code page conversion routines.

I did not know that. O_o

Getting a Thinkpad running OS/2 is still on my to-do list...

> Whilst it boots cleanly (and quietly). The machine is noticeably slower on SD card so I think I might have to try a RAID or other fast/wide SCSI solution once I have good backups of the other drives.

That's very surprising.

Might CF be quicker than SD? CF is a PATA bus, SD is a multiplexed
serial (or nearly) bus, AIUI.

Failing that, there are 2 real-SSD options: either:

[1] PATA SSD -- they still exist but they're relatively expensive.

[2] an MSATA SSD in a PATA convertor. Small MSATA drives are cheap --
I bought 64GB for ~£30 last autumn -- and the convertor cradles are
about a tenner.

That only leaves the problem of getting a PS/2 to talk to IDE... ;-)