Restoring a PC Server 500 P/390

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 02:39:59 CDT 2018

> > Either way, COOL!!!
> >
> > It sounds like you're doing some good computer archaeology /
> preservation.

Just to say I now have a bootable copy of the OS on SD card. I got caught out because OS2 wildcarding works like UNIX wild carding, not MSDOS wild carding.
So in order to back up the "C" drive you need "XCOPY C:\*   ...". I instinctively used "*.*" which misses out a whole bunch of files, especially those used by the code page conversion routines.

Whilst it boots cleanly (and quietly). The machine is noticeably slower on SD card so I think I might have to try a RAID or other fast/wide SCSI solution once I have good backups of the other drives.

> OI think there are plenty of P390 boxes around, and most of the software is
> available, but its interesting to a Mainframe OS on real hardware.
> The Hercules emulator on a modern (Core i3 or Core I5) PC is much faster
> than the P390.
>

> > --
> > Grant. . . .
> > unix || die