Troubleshooting HP 2116B

David Collins davidkcollins2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:21:23 CDT 2018

Christian, I tried to track down details of the 1820-0183 and the manuals
appear to say it's an RCA item, part number 80170 but I cant find anything
with that number anywhere - you are probably on the right track with a
CA3082A or similar.

My experience in fixing similar faults on the memory boards of the 2116A was
that the transistors were often leaky which created stuck bits.  Sometimes I
had to swap parts around between working and non-working bits to isolate the
faulty items and it turned out exact replacements for the bad transistors
were still available for purchase.

If you're prepared to swap components around on your boards to troubleshoot,
you might by lucky and find that the ICs are OK.

David Collins