HP-2116 front panel lamps

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jul 25 03:41:17 CDT 2018

Hi,

I need to replace several broken lamps from our HP-2116B front panel. The
old/original ones are CM-345 or OL-345. This makes sense, they are rated
6V 40mA 10000 hours.

BUT:
The maintenance manual says something different and is even wrong and
inconsistent.
HP part number is 2140-0035, description "Lamp, Incadescent, 6.3V, 0.75A"
This can't be true. 92*0.75A would be 400W alone for the front panel
lights...
The manufacturer code is 71744 (Chicago Miniature Lamp Works), mfg part
number 1775. That is indeed a 6.3V lamp, but 0.075A (better!). Problem:
that is a midget _screw_ base lamp, so wrong socket and only rated for
1000h. The panel and switches need a midget flanged base lamp. Who wrote
that manual? Was he drunk? ;-)

Christian