GoTEK SFR1M44-U100...

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jul 17 15:49:18 CDT 2018

On 07/17/2018 02:04 PM, Adrian Graham via cctalk wrote:
> Just a question, you’re not expecting the Gotek to whizz files onto the
> Compaq are you?

No, not as such.

> It may be something modern emulating a floppy drive but it also has
> to emulate the floppy drive rotational speed so it should be the same
> speed as a real drive.

I am guessing that there is some false hope ~> expectation on my part
that things might be a little bit faster than they were.

That being said, there is every chance that this process was doing extra
work and likely verifying the format (I think format has a flag to test
a floppy as it's formatted), thus making it take longer.

I conceptually get that the GoTEK can't go any faster than the Floppy's
IDE (I thought floppy was a derivative of IDE.) bus can carry the data.
I was hoping to avoid some timings of the physical aspects of spinning
the disk and seeking.

I think I've been messing with virtualization too much that can simply
do things a LOT faster because more of the computer is emulated.  (This
does come with it's own problems too.)

> One thing that sometimes makes it seem slow to me is that I don’t
> have the little piezo speaker for mine so you’re getting no audible
> feedback, and with no OLED either you have no idea about which tracks
> its reading, etc.

Fortunately for me, my GoTEK does have an activity LED.  Apparently some
models don't even have that.

It will be interesting to see the track count on the OLED once I install it.

As it is, I go from starting to assumed finish without any progress
indicator.

> Bit like watching a kettle boil :)

Or watching paint dry.

--