Documation card reader rollers & interfacing (was Documations for sale)

E. Groenenberg ed at groenenberg.net
Mon Dec 10 09:49:22 CST 2018

On Mon, December 10, 2018 16:20, Ethan Dicks via cctalk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 7:24 PM Kyle Owen <kylevowen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If anyone here does get one, I've got a simple Arduino UNO program that
>> interfaces to the parallel output and sends fully decoded information
>> over
>> USB at quite high speeds.
>
> I'm interested in that!  I was designing one in my head this weekend.
> Much better to stand on the shoulders of giants!
>
>> I'm also working on getting a cable made to hook up to the M843 CR8-E
>> punched card reader interface for the PDP-8/E, but that's a project for
>> another day (year?).
>
> I have an M8291 CR-11 board (untested) but no cable.  Same cable as
> the M843 AFAIK (documented as such).
>
> The interesting thing about my M-200 is it has a factory mod - a
> 6802-based parallel-serial board, mounted on an internal 44-pin
> 0.156"-spacing connector, so rather than remove that and use an
> external cable, I have the option of making my own card for the socket
> with a 40-pin Berg connector and using a straight 40-pin cable to the
> M8291 or M843.
>
> But since mine is punched-cards only (not mark-sense cards), I'm not
> that likely to punch a lot of card decks for mine.  Once I read 3-4
> decks for a local buddy, I don't really have "next use" for my reader.
>
> -ethan

Mee too, as I have a M200 and also want to use an USB (or serial line)
interface. As I have card punch as well, my ultimate goal is to punch
a little program on it, and then read that program into the computer.

New rollers are welcome too, I regulary watch Guy's blog about the
progress of the the new rollers. Onmy reader, 2 were gooed up, the
other 2 are still firm, but it would be more sensible to replace them
all in one go.

Maybe this shop does a discount when more rollers are ordered (i.e.
a group buy?)

Ed
--
Ik email, dus ik besta.