RL02 Spinup fails

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 17:31:32 CST 2017

Well, some progress.

It seems that a terminator is not required so long as the cable is VERY
short. The controller RLV12 controller appears to have a few termination
resistors on it anyway. There is no fault light appearing and the drives
spin up fine. Mine cable is less than 20cm and the PDP is sitting just
on top of the drive.

I can see that the drive is communicating because the lsb of the csr
changes flips between 0 and 1 when I load and unload the drive.

I wanted to try and dump the disks using vtserver, but when I run the
copy program I end up with the following

]] Enter name of input record/device: rl(0,0,0)
]]
]] Can't get rl(0,0,0) sts
]] rl(0,0,0) err cy=0, hd=0, sc=2, rlcs=142205, rlmp=0
]] rl(0,0,0) error reading labelsector
]] Enter name of input record/device:

The same happened on both packs - they have both been cleaned and look
as though they are in good condition. The heads have been cleaned too.

Given that the drive appears to be communicating with the PDP-11, where
might this problem come from?

Thanks,

Aaron.

--
Aaron Jackson
PhD Student, Computer Vision Laboratory, Uni of Nottingham