Atari ST SCSI hard drive question

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Thu May 25 01:56:56 CDT 2017

Van: Win Heagy via cctech<mailto:cctech at classiccmp.org>
Verzonden: donderdag 25 mei 2017 02:12
Aan: cctech at classiccmp.org<mailto:cctech at classiccmp.org>
Onderwerp: Atari ST SCSI hard drive question

I have an Atari 1040ST that I picked up some time back.  It is very clean
and for the most part appears to work.  It has what appears to be some kind
of generic SCSI hard drive (no markings except a serial number on the back)
as well as a DMA/SCSI adapter.  The computer will boot to GEM/TOS with or
without a floppy, but I can't seem to get the HD to do much.  The HD powers
up and spins/clicks like you'd expect, but after that, I get nothing on the
desktop.  I tried different SCSI device number settings as well as moving
the SCSI plug to each of the two plugs on the drive.  It did not have a
SCSI terminator with it, but I picked one up...made no difference.

I know very little about STs, so am learning as I go.  I'm guessing that
maybe there should be a driver for the HD?  The machine came with software,
but I don't see anything that looks like an HD driver disk.  It has two
slightly different language disks and will boot each of them successfully,
but the HD does not show up.  Is anyone familiar with this particular drive
and can possibly point me in the right direction?

https://imgur.com/a/pxMxl

The adapter on top is a male to female adapter.  Not sure what that was
for.  The SCSI terminator is plugged in the back below the DMA/SCSI adapter.

Thanks...Win
wheagy at gmail.com

It’s been a loooong while. Very long ago I bought an ASCI adapter with
52 MB hard disk and installed it inside the Mega 1. I still have it, but
haven’t used it in years.
Together with the hardware came a driver, to make it boot from HD.
I vaguely remember that when the Atari was booted, the HD was still
spinning up, thus not accessible.
What you can try: power up the Atari, wait say 10-15 seconds to let
the HD spin up, then push the little reset button at the back.
Maybe it then boots from the HD … if something is on the HD.