Microscope for Soldering and Inspection Work

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Jan 14 12:40:36 CST 2017

On 01/14/2017 02:48 AM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
> Has anyone had experience of using an item like this for soldering and PCB
> inspection work?

I have an old Olympus stereo-zoom microscope at home.  It
works quite well.  I have one of those Chinese microscopes
at work, but it is a different one than the amazon link.
They indicate a 9" working distance, which is really great.
Mine have about a 4" working distance, which is fine as long
as the light, etc. don't interfere.  Not sure that gooseneck
thing is really adequate.  I made my own lights with 8 white
LEDs, resistors, a wall wart power supply, and a ring of PC
board material.  One possible problem with the 9" working
distance is the eyepieces might be too high for comfort.
You might end up having to use a lowered table for it.

Jon