Apple & SGI keyboards (Re: NEC ProSpeed 386)

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue May 31 18:26:50 CDT 2016

On 2016-05-31 7:16 PM, Swift Griggs wrote:
> That was the one thing that never really shone in the SGI world,
> despite some cool fru-fru in other places. I have a granite slab
> keyboard and an SGI USB keyboard. Neither is anything special (and the
> USB one has DOMES *gasp*... the horror). However, SGI did have the
> "dials and buttons" and "Spaceball" interfaces. So what they lose in
> style points for lack of cool keyboard designs I have to re-award for
> their other cool input devices. -Swift
SGI was not the only ones to have input devices like dial, LPFK, tablets
with cursors or stylus, and space ball every company that made graphical
workstations had such devices, in fact the first three probably predate
SGI.  One of my books has a picture of a IBM 2250 graphics terminal
announced in 1964 complete with LPFK ("buttons").  The space ball came
along later than the others.

Paul.