DEC color standards was: Re: Banner Panels

Charles Dickman chd at chdickman.com
Fri Dec 30 21:49:41 CST 2016

Rod,

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Rod Smallwood
<rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
>             I have had a quick word with the girls down at the silk screen
> shop.

A couple of years ago I tried to translate the DEC color standards to
RGB based on the colors in the standards on bitsavers. Here is what I
came up with:

http://www.chdickman.com/pdp8/DECcolors/

I think I posted this already.

How have you been doing your color matching? Have you published a
color list for the panels you have made? I am thinking about color
matching for switch handles for example that are in the same colors.
Some enduring standard translation for the colors would be great to
have available in the future.

I never imagined how slippery color was until I tried to do the color
matching from the DEC standards. I had to meet Munsell, Ostwald and
the CHM (Color Harmony Manual, not the Computer History Museum),
before I was done. And Pantone seems to be the Microsoft of color.

-chuck