Winchester-style coax connectors?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Dec 1 13:47:50 CST 2016

> On Dec 1, 2016, at 2:27 PM, Josh Dersch <derschjo at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Imlac uses a Winchester connector (14 position) for the display and
> while they're not as common these days the parts can still be found so I
> thought I was in the clear, but what I failed to notice is that three of
> the "pins" (for the X, Y and Blank signals) are actually tiny coaxial
> connectors that fit within the Winchester housing (i.e. they're the same
> diameter as a Winchester pin).

What is a "Winchester connector"?  Do you mean a D-sub connector, i.e., with a trapezoidal shell such as you find on terminal or VGA connectors?  Those come in a number of widths, with names like DE (for the VGA size), or DB (the 25 pin classic RS-232), and so forth.  Often, incorrectly, all are called DB.

Those shells have a variety of choices for pins.  They may be two rows of pins (e.g., DB-25), or 3 rows (e.g., DE-15).  You may also find ones that have just miniature coax inserts, or a mix of coax and plain pins.  The coax inserts are generally larger, such that it takes up much of the height of the connector.  I haven't seen coax pins that are the same diameter as plain signal pins, that's rather hard to imagine especially for something as old as an Imlac.  Examples of mixed pin D-sub connectors are the Sun video monitor connectors, with RGB on coax.

	paul