One more try - Can you ID this S-100 Serial board?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:30:47 CDT 2015

@Chris / All

Unfortunately, I've never eyeballed the logo of the locally-based MCT corp
so I can't comment on it, but again, it's an intriguing thought. And yes,
it's quite possible that the PO knew or ever purchased this Altair from an
employee there. He (PO) indicated that he bought the system second-hand, in
the early 1980s, from an engineering colleague who worked elsewhere in the
locality.

And the PO is the kind of guy who would have hacked-out the cheapest and
most expedient solution to whatever was presented. Don't get me wrong, the
guy is quite sharp and well-educated, but just a real practical 'bailing
wire and duct tape' kinda guy.. half EE, half farmer or something. ;-)

Oh - about it being a 'kit'.. I gave a good look, and it's hard to say for
sure, but the board +is+ totally hand-soldered. But the work is excellent.
So it's either a well-built kit or a smaller-run factory board - but it
wasn't wave / batch soldered.

Also, I'm curious about the 50-pin headers.. why were they never installed?
All of the other work was done, all the expensive parts (chips) are
in-place - so why not a couple of cheap headers? Yes, a few resistor SIPs
are gone, as is one chip missing, but still, you get the point.