flash (or ide) storage for unibus 11?

Shiresoft ggs at shiresoft.com
Mon Nov 23 00:03:38 CST 2015

Uh, no.  Interfacing to an HDA (especially a modern one) is not for the faint of heart.  The drive controller is usually a custom (to the drive family) ASIC.  In many cases the firmware and drive parameters are stored on the drive media itself.  The read/write amplifiers are usually tuned to the specific heads and drive data rate (again those are contained in the custom ASIC).

Creating an SMD (or ESDI) drive emulator doesn't look to be all that difficult since the data is all after the clock recovery and is all digital.  That is when writing, the controller provides the clock (can't remember if the drive provides a reference clock).  On reading, the drive provides the clock.  In those cases, the bits are bits and you don't have to worry about over sampling and jitter.  Plus the interface to the drive is reasonably high level in that the controller sends commands and gets responses.

TTFN - Guy