Old HP test equipment power connectors...

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Thu May 28 19:18:03 CDT 2015

On Thu, 28 May 2015, Jules Richardson wrote:
> On 05/27/2015 04:18 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> I did a little checking today--I compared a male 163-type receptacle 
>> with a C14 receptacle.  The mounting ear holes appear to have the same 
>> spacing; the C14 is about 3/4" thick, where the 163 (metal shell) is 
>> about 1/2" thickness, so you'd need to enlarge the mounting holes about 
>> 1/8"  on the top and bottom.
> Aha, I'm not a fan of non-reversible mods if I've got an alternative.
> I'm leaning toward the C5/6 connectors at the moment; I see the cables 
> around once in a while, but I'm not sure about the availability of 
> chassis-mount sockets (I expect they're generally PCB-mount).
> Option 2 is to use a mounting plate with a grommet and simply have a 
> permanently-attached power cable - separate power cables on things are 
> just there to get lost anyway ;-)
> I'll arrange a trip back to the site where some of the test equipment 
> came from though as there may be a nest of the original cables there - 
> the problem will be finding them, as it was a bit of a dumping ground 
> for ancient tech.

Try these:

Schurter 0724 series:
   4300.0100 - solder terminals
   4300.0101 - pcb terminals

Schurter 2561 series:
   6160.0001 - solder terminals

Schurter 2562 series:
   6160.0002 - pcb terminals



[I couldn't do much more than a quick search since I'm really busy with 
flood cleanup.]

Keep in mind the C5/C6 couplers are only rated for 2.5A.

Something else other list members may find interesting is the Bulgin 
PX0578/63. Those are a C13 input coupler with 0.25in (6.3mm) quick connect 
terminals. I'm using some of these to connect power to some really small 
SeaSonic switch mode PSUs for embedded applications.

Both Bulgin and Schurter have all sorts of IEC 60320 connectors/couplers, 
but the best way to find them is to look at the datasheets and not 
Mouser's search. Mouser often has the terminations, mounting type, and 
sometimes even the coupler type listed wrong, so I always use the 
manufacturer's part number when searching.

More information about the cctech mailing list