8-bit Computer TV Channel Use

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Mon Jun 1 19:43:37 CDT 2015

On Jun 1, 2015, at 5:24 PM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:

> I received the $19 composite video to HDMI converter that I ordered from Amazon, tested it a bit with my Apple //c, and posted pictures of the results here:
>
>    http://www.nf6x.net/2015/06/cheap-hdmi-converter-with-apple-c/
>
> Text modes worked pretty well, but graphic modes had a lot of colored fringes and distortion. I've only ever used Apple II series machines with monochrome displays, so I don't know how much better or worse the original analog CRT displays of the day might have performed. Do the Apple II experts have any feedback to share?

The color on the hi-res screens looks pretty good, but the vertical lines through the blocks on the lo-res screens isn’t quite right. The bottom 4 lines of text having color bleeding is normal, even on an Apple color composite monitor. The monochrome 80 column screen looks pretty good too.

Do you happen to have an old CRT TV around with composite input that you can hook up and compare to, just for yourself? I’ve got an Amdek Color I and Apple IIc Color Composite here that I’ll try to take some sample pictures of.

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com