8-bit Computer TV Channel Use

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jun 1 19:24:01 CDT 2015

I received the $19 composite video to HDMI converter that I ordered from Amazon, tested it a bit with my Apple //c, and posted pictures of the results here:

    http://www.nf6x.net/2015/06/cheap-hdmi-converter-with-apple-c/

Text modes worked pretty well, but graphic modes had a lot of colored fringes and distortion. I've only ever used Apple II series machines with monochrome displays, so I don't know how much better or worse the original analog CRT displays of the day might have performed. Do the Apple II experts have any feedback to share?

I'm also working on getting design details from Silicon Labs for one of their inexpensive single-chip TV tuners under NDA. If the Crazy Cat Lady project moves forward, that chip might come in handy. If I use that chip, I'll need to consider whether the NDA terms would preclude me from sharing my own IP that uses the chip, since I'd prefer to share my schematic and firmware. But if the NDA would disallow that, then I'd either need to close part or all of my design, or pick out a different tuner option.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/