H960 blank panel clips

Charles Dickman chd at chdickman.com
Tue Jul 28 11:03:45 CDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Pete Turnbull
<pete at dunnington.plus.com> wrote:

> No, they're ABS - at least mine are, I just tested a few.  I don't know what
> grade, though, and perhaps something more flexible and forgiving - a
> different grade of ABS, semi-rigid PVC, or nylon would be better.
>
> My suggestion, however, would be to incorporate a vertical slit in the ball
> and a couple of millimeters of the stem, so they're a less tight and less
> critical fit.  Might help, especially with a less brittle plastic.

I tend to think the design is actually pretty good IF the posts were
more flexible and tougher. If the post flexes, it can accomodate
slight misalignment without undo stress on the panel.The friction fit
of the ball in the socket doesn't change with misalignment either. The
method also doesn't require any clearance between adjacent panels
since it comes straight off the pins.

If the posts and balls are metal, the panel sockets are going to crack
because there will not be any give in the shaft. If the ball and shaft
is replaced with a solid pin, the panel sockets will get damaged
because the socket will have to flex to conform to the pin.

I like the idea of an X cut in the ball.