Looking for 3COM 3C905-TX Drivers

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Sun Dec 27 18:44:33 CST 2015

 >Robert Jarratt wrote:

I am also running Win98SE on a 750 MHz Pentium III with 768 MB of memory
and 160 GB ATA 100 hard drives.  Unfortunately, the BIOS supports hard
drives only up to 131 GB, but since the original hard drives were more
expensive
and were only 40 GB, I was really very pleased.  It also has both 3.5"
and 5 1/4"
floppy drivers, an Adaptec AHA2940AU host adapter and several DVD and CD
drives.

One of the really KEY aspects of the hardware is a video card which supports
FULL  SCREEN mode at 80 columns and 132 columns at many different
lines including BOTH 24 lines and 50 lines for 80 columns PLUS 24 lines
and 44 lines for 132 columns.  The primary program which uses this hardware
is the PDP-11 emulator, Ersatz-11, which is probably used 90% of the time
and I run normal Netscape 7.2 for e-mail the other 10% of the time.

This system is more than 12 years old.  All of the original 40 GB hard
drivers
have been replaced along with the power supply.  Indeed, even the
replacement
power supply is inadequate and I have managed to continue by using a
separate
power supply just for the hard disk drives which I presume sufficiently
reduces
the load for the power supply for the motherboard and floppies.

Since I am a real Windows dummy, I hesitate to upgrade to a current I7 CPU
with SATA hard drives.  Is there any reasonable possibility of using an
I7 CPU
with Win98SE?  Are there still I7 motherboards which support at least
one floppy
at a time - either 3.5" or 5 1/4" floppies?  Are there any Video cards
available
which still support FULL  SCREEN mode at 132 columns?  Mainly, I would
stay with the 12 year old system for another 25 years if I had reliable
spare
parts and Netscape 7.2 would still continue to support e-mail with
newsgroups
that are still a small but vital link to other activity that I find
interesting.  Are
there used hardware parts still available for a Pentium III system?  I
realize
that there are no guarantees, but where would I find sources for such
hardware?

Note that if I stopped running Ersatz-11 in FULL  SCREEN mode, then I
could easily switch to a different system.  In that respect, I probably have
accumulated over 100,000 e-mails and posts from newsgroups (mostly
the latter, of course).  Is is possible to transfer the e-mails and posts to
Microsoft junk or is there a better e-mail application like Thunderbird?

Jerome Fine