RL02-USB Controller Status/Problem

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Wed Apr 8 23:50:47 CDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 09:34:30PM -0700, Don North wrote:
>I stand corrected and suitably red-faced.

Wait I didn't mean to trigger that -- I was trying to fix the information,
not you!!!  All good.

Personally I don't like the RT-11 DL:/DM: style revectoring anyway because
it doesn't use skip sectors (like the RM80) or anything like that where the
replacement sector is fairly local to the one being replaced.  All the spares
are in the final data track of the disk, so your supposedly beautiful
contiguous files can end up being *ridiculously* fragmented.  I'd rather
just have a few FILE.BADs on the disk and steer clear of them.  And in
practice, lots of non-error-free RL02K-DCs turn out to be error-free.
Even with -EFs, DEC didn't promise they'd *stay* error-free.

John Wilson
D Bit