RL02-USB Controller Status/Problem

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Apr 7 09:58:36 CDT 2015

On 07/04/2015 11:21, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> The STD144 reserves the last track of the device for pack information.
> In there you have the pack serial number, and also the manufacturer bad
> block list, and also the user bad block list.

While looking for something quite unrelated, I noticed that the RT-11
Device Handlers Manual says slightly differently.  The user list is
stored, merged with the manufacturing list, in the home block (track 0
sector 1) of RL01/02 and RK06/07 volumes, beginning at offset 6
(HB.BAD).  The actual replacement blocks are reserved space on the
second last track (or tracks 0,1 of the last cylinder on RK06/7).

The symbol names for the values in HB.BAD are defined in the .BBRDF
macro in the distributed file SYSTEM.MLB.
	Offset	Name	Meaning
	0 	BBR.BD 	Bad block number.
	2 	BBR.GD 	Replacement block number.
		BBR.SZ 	Entry size.