Anyone have a spare Apple IIgs power supply?

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Fri Dec 12 02:51:25 CST 2014

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Eric Smith wrote:

> If anyone happens to have a spare Apple IIgs power supply that they'd be
> willing to sell for lower than eBay prices, I could really use one. On
> eBay, the power supply often sells for more than the whole computer.
>
> I will replace the failed capacitor in the power supply that I have, but
> unfortunately when it smoked and burst, it got smelly resinous crap all
> over the PCB, other components, and the inside of the power supply case,
> so I'd prefer to put in another power supply than constantly fill the
> house with fumes from this one.

Isopropyl alcohol* and a toothbrush will clean off the capacitor mess and
magic smoke residue. It won't hurt the other components to get them wet
with alcohol or even water if you need to rinse it. Isopropyl alcohol
might damage or remove printing from certain types of labels though, so be
careful of those.

[* -Not- "denatured" or wood alcohol, normally used for thinning shellac,
which has different chemical additives that are extremely toxic.]