Weird 8-inch floppy disk

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Wed Dec 3 00:46:08 CST 2014

They might actually be the Memorex 650 media.  The 650 media had 8 sector (9
holes) while the 651 media had 32 sectors (33 holes)
See
http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/memorex/disc/2944.010_650floppyOEM.pd
f, Fig 3
Or
http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/memorex/disc/2644.002-01_651Maint_Nov
74.pdf , Fig. 1-5

Or they might be for one of the other early FDD vendors such as Century Data
or Potter, but they really look like the Memorex FDs

With the shipment of IBMs 33FD the indes/sector hole moved to the center as
did the rest of the industry, starting with the Shugart 900 series.

Memorex had enough volume in the early FDDs that third parties such as
Verbatim made compatible media.

Tom