36bit still in use ?

Roy Hirst rhirst at xkl.com
Tue Dec 2 12:42:13 CST 2014

I'm Roy Hirst, a hobbyist new to the list - today is my day 1 - and I
currently work for XKL LLC. I'd like to contribute where I can to this
and other conversations on cctalk.

XKL makes a line of optical networking systems, think 10x10GE in 1RU. A
system has two planes, a (1) traffic plane where client equipment (e.g.
"server") traffic gets aggregated to DWDM channels on a single optical
fiber, and (2) a management plane that, er, manages remote config,
real-time failover, OS field upgrades, etc. The planes are independent
and you can reboot the OS after an upgrade without affecting packet
traffic. The emphasis is on reliability, resilience, configurability,.
We have had DWDM systems running 5 years without incident using these
backplanes.

The TOAD-2 is looked back on here with affection, some of the original
architects and engineers are still around, and memory systems and
interfaces have been under continuous development and extension since
TOAD-2 days. I am not sure if you used to work here you would recognize
it now. Is still 36-bit,? Yes.

Roy

--
*Roy Hirst* | 425-556-5773 | 425-324-0941 cell
XKL LLC | 12020 113th Ave NE, Suite 100 | Kirkland, WA 98034 | USA

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
 If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.
 If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail the sender at the above e-mail address.