The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 20:13:48 CDT 2022

On 5/11/22 21:05, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>>> In the meantime (as a proof of concept?), you can manually read and
>>> write sectors with SUPERZAP  ?
>
> On Wed, 11 May 2022, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>> Wow, SuperZAP.  Time do build a System with NEWDOS80.  :-)
>
> Well, it's a good one to have.
> There are lots of alternatives to SUPERZAP, including TRAKCESS, whose
> source code will answer a few questions about TRS80 disk access.
> Allen Gelder (Superstep) once told me that TRAKCESS had been Roixton
> Baker's major assembly language learning project.
> SuperUtility
> and, TRSCROSS by Mike Gingel does some disk format conversion.

I'll look up some of these.  I wrote a diskzap of my own (didn't
we all?) many moons ago but I don't still have a copy or remember
anything about how I did it.  But SuperZAP came with NEWDOS80 and
I probably used it the most. Usually for removing passwords.  :-)

>>> and create a program in PL/M that makes boot floppies.
>> Well, at least to write the boot code to the disk.  Still have
>> to figure out what files need to be there for each OS and come
>> up with a way to copy them.  Hopefully as automated as possible.
>>
>> But not right now as tomorrow I leave for Walter Reed Hospital.
>
> Yikes.
> I hope that that's as a doctor/consultant/visitor, not for treatment.

Nope, the consultations are over.  Monday they rebuild my knee.  I
wanted the bionic one but I didn't have the 6 Million Dollars.
At least there I will get a rebuild and not the hack job
replacement that is the norm where I live.

bill