The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon May 9 16:08:24 CDT 2022

On Mon, 9 May 2022, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
> I "duplicated" getting the prompts that I don;t think should be there.
> All I have to do is try to boot from a bad disk.  ie. Hit reset while
> holding the "1" key with a non-bootable disk in drive 0:.

Sorry, to pester with irrelevant details, . . .
"non-bootable disk"  Do you mean a Model 4 disk without system and/or with
errors?
OR, will it do it with a BLANK or PC disk?

>> This might help troubleshoot
> I don't know that troubleshoot is the word to use.  It's not trouble.
> It's just curious as I didn't even think it was possible.

not "troubleshoot", so much as understanding a feature and/or confirming
what is "known"
If it will do it with a blank disk, then the statements that it "doesn't
have ROMs" are more faulty. It obviously has SOME ROMs, to start up enough
to try to boot.  But, this would tend towards disproving the statements
that it doesn't have BASIC in ROM.
And, if it has the "POKE" command, then all sorts of wondrous things
become more easily available.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com