PDP 11/24 - A Step Backwards

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 31 18:38:54 CDT 2022

On 2022-Mar-31, at 4:12 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>> From: Brent Hilpert
>
>> So apparently I've been looking at the wrong +5V supply (H777) because
>> the rest of you are indeed looking at a different +5 supply (H7140),
>> both of which are in that same 11/24 pdf document
>
> That's because the H777 is the P/S for the BA11-L 5-1/4" box, and the H7140
> is the P/S for the BA11-A 10-1/2" box - both of which are, quite reasonably,
> covered in the -11/24 print set.
>
>> I really wish when people are asking for assistance or talking about a
>> schematic or circuit they would include a link/reference to exactly
>> what they are looking at
>
> But everone probably _was_ looking at the same document - just different
> pages! Alas, DEC doesn't number _all_ the pages with a 'unique within the
> print set' identifier.

> Still, one could say 'page xx of the PDF'.

Which is what I do in these sorts of discussions, at least if it has not been specified previously, and especially when dealing with larger docs. E.g. from my previous messages in this thread:

	ref: pdfPg.152,etc of http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1124/MP01018_1124schem_Aug80.pdf

	pdfPg.30 of http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1124/MP01018_1124schem_Aug80.pdf

(The latter being the page for the H777 I was mistakenly looking at.)

Makes it easier for a recipient, everyone following, and yourself if you have to go back to it in the course of subsequent discussion.