Memory Card Explorer for the Elan P423

D. Resor organlists1 at sonic.net
Wed Jul 6 19:48:37 CDT 2022

The Ricoh version of Memory Card Explorer uses a proprietary file format.  This also requires their approved PCMCIA card which is also in their own proprietary file format. The PCMCIA card which Ricoh uses P/N 803-6701 is a 4Mb Linear Flash Card.  It has no write protect switch like other PCMCIA cards.  When you insert it in the Elan P423 slot it is identified as "PCMCIA MTD-0002".  Whereas other PCMCIA cards might be shown as SMART Modular Technologies.

Memory Card Explorer can Exclude/Include up to 1 through 8 PCI card slots.  This is to prevent the software from "killing" the operation of other plugged in cards such as modem, network card, etc.

The mother board I tried it on and was able to actually get the program to start under Windows XP with no memory hurdles is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H.  Unfortunately for some reason the PCI slot closest to the CPU socket is marked PCI Slot #12.  There weren't no way I could configure MCE to find the Elan P423 Card Reader/Writer.

I don't have to buy the Ricoh Memory Card Explorer software as there is a full working 30 day trial version (which I have).  Not a problem.

I am upgrading the Firmware of a Ricoh 5510L MFP, for which I also have those files.   At that time Ricoh equipment didn’t have serial or USB ports, only a universal PCMCIA slot which is used for memory storage expansion, and updates, etc.

Keeping this piece of equipment viable will postpone spending $3K plus shipping and sales tax to upgrade to a much newer (slightly used) MFP.

I will say that Windows XP x32 boots practically in the "blink of an eye" on this Intel i5 in Legacy mode with all of the many XP updates too, wow.

Don Resor