cctalk Digest, Vol 89, Issue 21

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 18:29:21 CST 2022

You could boot a packaged Linux that doesn't need installation but runs directly from the boot device.  I haven't done this but I know they are out there and easy to use.

SimH complex and lots of setup?  Not my experience.  The documentation may be sparse in places, as I found when configuring a PDP-10 setup, but the PDP-11 setups are well documented.

SCSI controller, that's beside the point.  I assume it looks to the PDP-11 as an MSCP controller, right?  It would have to be, else you'd have no chance of running a standard OS.  If so, you'd just tell SIMH to configure an MSCP controller with a disk of size matching what you have.

When you said "won't write a disk image to a real RX50" do you mean an RX50 drive, or an RX50 floppy in a plain PC 5.25 inch drive?  I don't know about the former, but the latter has long worked for me.  I haven't used Windows for stuff like that in ages, and don't want to use it if I can avoid it, but my RSTSFLX 2.6 can be build for DOS (using DJGPP).  I don't have an executable of that version handy but could probably create one.  That doesn't create from images, though; it manipulates RSTS file systems.  A simple program to copy an image, along the lines of the rx50.py I mentioned, would not be hard to make.

	paul