Installing an operating system on the 11/83 - update.

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Feb 22 18:28:29 CST 2022

DD 5.25" disks are about 300 Oersted.
HD 5.25" disks are about 600 Oersted.

If you use HD disks to write DD content, the data fades away real fast.

However, on 3.5" disks, the difference is more like 600 Oersted VS 750
Oersted, and you may get away with using the wrong disk.

360K disks are tested/certified for 40 track (48tpi) double density.
Although not tested/certified for 80 track 96tpi, the cookie is the same,
and they generally can handle 80 track (96tp) double density just fine.
Disks of extremely marginal quality (such as Wabash, or pre-Datalife
Verbatem) can still give you troubles.

In general, commercial 1.2M drives are also intended to be able to
read/write(with track width problems!) 360K disks.  So, if the write
current is at the "360K" level, and you get the data transfer rate correct
(250K at 300RPM or 300K at 360RPM), and you get the drive to NOT "double
step", then you can, indeed, read/write 80 track DD disks using a 1.2M
drive.

Using a double density 80 track drive, such as the the Tandon TM100-4,
Shugart/Panasonic/Matsushita 465, or the Teac 55F makes it a little
simpler/easier, since those drives don't HAVE multiple write currents, nor
360RPM, so just let the PC FDC think that it is a 360K drive (other than
being 96tpi with 80 tracks), and the other issues aren't there.

10 512 byte sectors per track is similar to the 8 or 9 sector per track PC
track format, other than squeezing an extra sector onto each track, by
redducing the sector gaps.  Readily doable with INT13h (plus INT 1Eh), and
not even having to talk directly to the FDC.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com