Installing an operating system on the 11/83 - update.

js at cimmeri.com js at cimmeri.com
Tue Feb 22 18:08:02 CST 2022

On 2/22/2022 6:42 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 4:36 PM js---
> via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
> <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>

>     Rod,
>
>        Not sure an RX33 (if 1.2MB
>     equivalent) would write working RX50
>     800k (double density) disks.  Very
>     different drives.
>

> The RX-33 is the same sort of drive
> that you had in your PC if you wrote
> RX-50s with your PC. Back in the day,
> lots of people used RX50.SYS to
> have it setup the transfer rates, RPM
> and sectors per track parameters
> so that you could read/write them on a
> PC running DOS. The parameters
> are basically the same ones you need
> to write the 360k DOS floppies, only
> with twice the number of tracks and 10
> sectors per track instead of 9 (this is
> done by making the track gaps smaller
> and eeking an extra sector out of the
> deal, but using at the same data rates).

Thanks for reminding me, Warner.  To recap:

The format used on a RX50 disk is:
Single Sided, 80 tracks, 10 sectors per
track
96 TPI, 300 RPM, 250 KHz data rate
... which translates to 400K SSQD.

The format of a high density 5.25" PC
disk is:
Double Sided, 80 tracks, 15 sectors per
track
96 TPI, 360 RPM, 500 KHz data rate
... which translates to 1.2MB DSHD.

So to use an actual RX-50 on my PC, I
just had to use an FDC capable of
slowing down the data rate, and make a
floppy cable to route the signals
properly (minor changes from a PC floppy
cable).

What Rod *might be* running up against
with using PUTR and his RX-33, is that
his RX-33 RPM and data rate might not be
slowing down to equal that of the
RX-50... which could be an FDC problem.
    Does the RX-33 automatically slow
the RPM if the data rate drops to 250khz?

- John Singleton