Installing an operating system on the 11/83 - update.

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Feb 22 17:42:38 CST 2022

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 4:36 PM js--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Rod,
>
>    Not sure an RX33 (if 1.2MB
> equivalent) would write working RX50
> 800k (double density) disks.  Very
> different drives.

The RX-33 is the same sort of drive that you had in your PC if you wrote
RX-50s with your PC. Back in the day, lots of people used RX50.SYS to
have it setup the transfer rates, RPM and sectors per track parameters
so that you could read/write them on a PC running DOS. The parameters
are basically the same ones you need to write the 360k DOS floppies, only
with twice the number of tracks and 10 sectors per track instead of 9 (this
is
done by making the track gaps smaller and eeking an extra sector out of the
deal, but using at the same data rates).

>    I've successfully put an actual RX-50
> drive on my PC, and written RX-50 images
> using PUTR.  You might try that route.

Did you have difficulties with Pin34 not being the change disk pin? That's
what
I ran into when I tried this many many years ago...

Warner