Advice on Desoldering an IC

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 15 12:49:33 CDT 2022

I am trying to remove an IC from my PDP 11/24 CPU, a DS8641. I am really
struggling to desolder it. I am using the technique of applying fresh solder
and then removing it. But after multiple cycles of this I think I am
starting to damage the PCB.

I am using a fairly cheap desoldering station (this one
https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00672/desoldering-station-uk-eu-plug/dp/SD
01384?st=duratool%20desoldering). Its spec in terms of vacuum pressure is
equivalent to that of the professional Hakko ones though. I am also trying a
hand desoldering pump. None of these are able to clear many of the holes of
solder, although some are doing better than others. Nevertheless, the IC
remains stubbornly unmoving.

Are there any tips for removing ICs?

Thanks

Rob