Fanuc PPR - Paper Tape Punch, Printer and Reader : Not quite working

Martin Bishop mjd.bishop at emeritus-solutions.com
Sun Apr 10 06:00:55 CDT 2022

Fred

You have a good measure of my problem.

As for my expertise: its 40 years since I left schoool with a PhD in Signal Processing, I'm currently designing with Xilinx Zynqs, and if the RS232 driver has to be pulled there is a Pace SX-80 on the bench in the workshop.

I have a pair of light boxes and a CRO on the job:
-	Modular Technology MT25-IV on the PPR side (first outing in 20+ years),
-	BlackBox TS50A on the D-9 side,
-	CRO on p2 & p3

The CRO can see codes (at 4800 baud) going to the unit, but nothing coming out - stuck at logical zero (-7.5 V).  Putty talks to the PPR - characters to punch, Xon starts reader, etc.  Putty etc also talks to other hardware, i.e. its been tested.

<quote> Sometimes devices, at either end of the cable, have unexpected requirements,that are not usual parts of the RS232 "standard". </quote>  That, essentially is my question, before I start chasing a hardware / driver issue.  Although, to date, I have drawn a blank.

Knitting, first the D25 with pins on the PPR's OEM cable (pin : C/I/O(wrt PPR) : color : presumed function):
1 - C - black - chassis ground
2 - I - yellow - TXD fr Pc to PPR (evidenced by lites / CRO)
3 - O - brown - RXD fr PPR to PC (evidenced by lites / -7v5 voltage)
4 - I - green - RTS
5 - O - yellow - CTS
6 - O - gray - DSR
7 - C - orange - signal gnd
8 - I - brown - DCD
20 - I - jumper (grey) to pin 8 - DTR
Note no other pins, esp 9 13 18 the D-25 current loop pins; therefore unlikely to be either current loop serial or 8 bit parallel (and the volts are not TTL).

D-25 to D-9 knitting (D25(PPR) : Direction : D9(Pc/FTDI 232) : function):
7 -- 5 common gnd
2 <- 3 TxD from Pc to PPR
3 -> 2 RxD from PPR to Pc
4 <- 7 RTS from Pc to PPR
5 -> 8 CTS from PPR to Pc
6 -> 6 & 1 DSR from PPR to Pc (DSR & DCD)
8 & 20 <- 4 DCD & DTR from Pc (DTR) to PPR (DCD & DTR)
Note I'm well aware that RTS to RTS etc is not normative, however the volts tell another story; presume I have a pair of DTEs / DCEs

Equally the classic quick bodge terminal (D-25) end jumpers don't deliver a result:
4-5 RTS-CTS
6-8-20 DSR-DTR-DCD

Thanks for your interest in my problem, and motivating me to open / inspect the D-25.

Martin