Core memory

Curious Marc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 18:03:56 CDT 2022

You don’t strictly need an inhibit wire to write cores. You can write the core with just the addressing lines. The inhibit wire is just there to simplify the addressing electronics logic in early core memory, so you don’t need to have per core control of the current in the address lines when writing. You just do it wholesale: scan all address lines with current in one direction during reads, scan once again with current in the other direction during writes, with inhibit when needed.

You could certainly use the sense wire as an inhibit. But that gets impractical with a diagonal weave, because you’d have to know in which direction the inhibit works and reverse the inhibit current accordingly. And it’s different for each core depending on the direction the sense wire crosses the core. So it defeats the purpose of simplifying the control logic with an inhibit wire. Therefore I don’t think that scheme is used.

In practice, 3 wire systems that use the same wire for inhibit and sense (like some IBM core planes) have the sense go along the address lines, and use a half plane column shift to provide cancellation of the unwanted signal induced from the address line it is running along. We demonstrate such a 3 wire plane here: https://youtu.be/AwsInQLmjXc .

So in your plane, the sense wire is likely just used for reads, and the writes are done uniquely with the address wires, like I demonstrate here: https://youtu.be/7ozNMgx7WtQ

Marc