Found my favorite DOS editor

Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez ce.murillosanchez at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 22:02:50 CDT 2021

Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 9/28/21 2:19 PM, Mike Katz via cctalk wrote:
>> Editors are like religion once you have a favorite you defend it like
>> crazy.
> My lovely wife still uses QEdit under a DOS emulator running on Linux.
>
> I occasionally still use an editor that I wrote for CP/M-80, and then
> ported to MS-DOS.  The advantage is that it's very small and I can
> modify it at will.
>
> --Chuck
I used see.exe early with MS-DOS, that you could record macros with.  I
liked terse.com's 4K footprint.  Much later, I liked QEdit's capability
to move rectangular blocks of text (composed of both rows and columns).
Then again, when I was required to work across MS-DOS, Windows and
several Unix flavors, I standardized on vi or related clones.  WATCOM C
for MS-DOS or Windows came with a pretty good vi.  There was also
ELVIS.  And, VIM was easy to port across many OSs, including VMS (all my
VMS machines have it).  For the Mac, there is TextWrangler (free version
of BBEdit), with many useful capabilities (such as editing a remote file
via an sftp:// URL, for example).

Carlos.