Setting up a VMS system

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 07:44:36 CDT 2021

On Wed, 22 Sept 2021 at 14:21, Philip Pemberton via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I'm thinking of using SIMH, unless there's a better emulator available.

I like VMS but I can't claim much expertise, unfortunately.

I have sysadminned a few boxes, but never brought one up from scratch.

However I did experimentally bootstrap an instance in SIMH on Linux
and it worked fine. I didn't license it or do much but it worked.

> I'm still waiting on a reply from HP with a hobbyist licence PAK (I've
> filled out the form), but I figure I can get started on the learning
> while I wait.

HP no longer owns VMS, AFAIK. It is now owned by VSI, VMS Software Inc.

https://vmssoftware.com/

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com