Burnable, patched Microvax-2000 SCSI-boot EPROM images?]

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Wed Sep 22 00:52:12 CDT 2021

..the compatible Device for the Labtool-48 is the Dataman-48, Software
is here: https://www.dataman.com/dataman-4848lv-resources

Regards,

Holm

----- Forwarded message from Holm Tiffe <holm at freibergnet.de> -----

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 07:45:32 +0200
From: Holm Tiffe <holm at freibergnet.de>
To: Jonathan Stone <kiwi_jonathan at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Burnable, patched Microvax-2000 SCSI-boot EPROM images?

Ok..sounds good so far..

I have an Labtool-48 Programmer for example..thats an old Promer with an
parallelport. Software is available for an OEM Device and I'm using that.
Forgot in the moment what this was..but I can check that later.
There are at least 3 Versions of the Promer that are more or less
incompatible to the others, there are "upgrades", with other PCBs in
there..last variant is able to do USB..
I'm owning the "plain" variant.

Another from my stuff is an HiLo ALL07, and I have German made GALEP III
and GALEP IV. All with Centronics Interface.. good Promers.

I think it is ok to have old programmers (and old
programmer-conterollers (old Laptops)) dedicated to them.
I never had to program 3,3V Eproms an such things.. every time old
Devices like Eproms, GALS or even TTL ROMs. 82S100 too..

I'm a german.. and sending Eproms from here seems to be the worst case
to me...

Regards,

Holm

Jonathan Stone wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 05:39:23 AM PDT, Holm Tiffe via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> >I've tried this almost 2 years before..and it worked "somewhat".
> >An VS2000 booted up in the first stage but the NetBSD Kernel couldn't
> >mount root since nothing in the loader expected a disk at the NCR SCSI
> >interface on the VS2000. Ragge agreed to look at this (bootcode) on my
> >VS2000, but I'vwe couldn't get an ssh connection from the internet to
> >an VS3100 M76 to which the VS2000 console was connected to..to work..
>
> I once "owned" the NetBSD MIPS port, and I've done VAX assembly and kernel code j(e.g., VMS device drivers). If I can't figure it out by comparison to 3100 code, I'll contact Ragge and set up remote access via a BCC08, a NetBSD laptop, and serial. (At least one of the VS200s is jumpered to Vaxstation mode, and I have two GPX daughter-cards on order.)
>
> >For yure I could burn the proms, but I think I'm on the other side of
> >the pond..
>
> I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I came here for grad school and never left.
>
>  It may be time for me to buy a PROM programmer. Anyone got recommendations for a budget device? "Amazon's choice" is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082D5NQ2P. The costlier option includes 10 different sockets, and it claims support for 29xxx and 29Cxxx EPROMs, plus lots of others.
>
> The DEC-badged Data-IO " on eBay is tempting, but expensive, and I don't know where to find software.

         Goethestrasse 15, 09569 Oederan, USt-Id: DE253710583
info at tsht.de Fax +49 37292 709779 Tel +49 37292 709778 Mobil: 0172 8790 741

----- End forwarded message -----