Overclocked TI Silent 703 at 1200 bauds?

amp1ron at gmail.com amp1ron at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 11:44:45 CDT 2021

I hadn't known about 1200 bps Silent 700s.  I just found a TI Silent
700/1200 on eBay and it is now on its way to me.  If I can figure out if/how
it can toggle between 300 and 1200 bps, I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, I can tell you that a manual I have for a model 703 says that
configuration switch 4 is "not yet used".  1 & 2 are for parity, 3 is for
print width (80/132 columns).  Maybe switch 4 toggles between 300 and 1200.
If you lift the smoky gray cover, you'll not only gain access to the roll of
paper but also, just above the keyboard, an expansion slot on the left-hand
side and the four DIP switches just to the right of the expansion slot.  The
DIP switches are found below a small rectangular cutout in the terminal's
plastic case.

On a model 703 I have there is a label under the paper roll that tells what
the 3 working DIP switches do and tells some of the CMD key sequences that
can be use on models 703, 707, and 709.  Apparently the same label was used
for all three basic models.  But maybe a unit with a 1200 bps option has a
label that lists a function for DIP switch 4 or a CMD key sequence for
setting communications speed.

Another possibility is the auto-access cartridge that can go in the
expansion slot.  The 700/1200 I have on the way to me includes an
auto-access cartridge.  Maybe it allows choosing between 300 and 1200 bps?
If you have an auto-access cartridge in your terminal, try some of the
commands for it that are listed on the quick reference card
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ti/terminal/silent_700/2310610-0001_Silent_700_
Auto-Access_Cartridge_Quick_Reference_Card.pdf .

If you figure out how to toggle between 300 and 1200 bps, please share the
trick.