Linux and the 'clssic' computing world

Sijmen J. Mulder ik at sjmulder.nl
Wed Oct 27 08:02:57 CDT 2021

Peter Corlett via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 10:18:51AM +0200, Sijmen J. Mulder via cctalk wrote:
> [...]
> > It's especially frustrating when, after having put in the work, projects
> > refuse even trivial patches for Solaris and derrivatives or sometimes even
> > BSDs because 'who uses that anyway'. (I include the patches in pkgsrc
> > instead.)
>
> [...]
>
> Anyway, this hypothetical patch submitter has apparently put in minimal
> effort ("trivial patches")

'Even' trivial patches, not only trivial patches. I can understand
rejecting something that will take real effort to review and merge.

> and now implicitly expects the project maintainer
> to integrate it immediately, and then do the thankless task of maintaining
> and testing it indefinitely on (multiple releases of) a closed-source
> platform which is actively hostile to their work. For free, presumably.

This is a rather harsh take on someone submitting a shell compatibility
fix, or a linker flag, or an autoconf check, etc. No one is asking for
'immediate' or 'indefinite' anything. It's perfectly fine to accept
compatibility patches and not commit to officially support that
platform.