Found my favorite DOS editor

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 15:58:45 CDT 2021

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 08:46, Steve Malikoff via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> In the late eighties I used to use E, an editor developed internally at IBM. My dad had retired from there by then but got it from
> ex-colleagues. I see you can get it from here now
> https://winworldpc.com/product/ibm-e-editor/3x

FWIW, it's part of PC-DOS 7, 2000 (7.01) and 7.1.

7.1 is a free download from IBM as part of the ServerGuide Scripting
Toolkit. It's only the kernel and a few utilities, though. You need
the rest of PC-DOS 2000, but that was bundled with VirtualPC which
Microsoft bought and have made a free download.

I've blogged about how to assemble your own copy, and point to some
VirtualBox pre-installed disk images.
https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/59703.html

> I also used WordStar on those OSs and I'm sure lots of you will fondly remember the LIST viewer by Vernon Buerg. I loved that program.

Oh my yes! I was a regular user of LIST in my OS/2 days. I had
forgotten all about it!

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053