Terminal Emulator

Monty McGraw mmcgraw74 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 08:30:33 CDT 2021

I use both Realterm and Tera Term.

Realterm does not emulate terminals - but is able to display ALL the ASCII
characters including the Control Characters and even 8-bit characters.
This has been invaluable to me working with my late 1970's Tektronix 4052
and 4054A computers, which made heavy use of ten of the ASCII control
characters for quick formatting of BASIC PRINT commands without requiring
multiple PRINT commands.  Realterm also can capture the entire stream of
ASCII characters to a file - which is invaluable in capturing all the
characters from DC300 Tektronix program tape cartridges.  I use the
XON/XOFF feature with both my 4052 and 4054A to send and receive ASCII
programs to the Tektronix computers at 9600 baud.

Here is an example output of Realterm with printed control characters - as
I am debugging my Arduino program to emulate the Tektronix 4924 GPIB tape
drive:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tektronix-4924-tape-drive-emulator/msg3581831/#msg3581831

I also use Tera Term - as it is able to emulate Tektronix graphics
terminals, both the 4012/4014 vector graphics AND the 'newer' 4100 series
color graphics terminals!  My Tektronix 4041 GPIB controller computers
(68000 based) had only a single line LED display, but supported Tektronix
4012/4014 if you had the optional Graphics ROM.  I was able to port several
of my 4050 graphics games to 4041 BASIC (Artillery, Lunar Lander, and my
port of Adventure) using Tera Term on my Windows 10 PC as the terminal to
display the graphics/text and for data input.  I also recovered the 4041
EZ-TEST (GPIB interactive program development) tapes, which only supported
the 4100 color terminals - and used Tera Term successfully to emulate those
color terminals.  Tera Term also supports XON/XOFF and file
capture/restore, so I have been able to use it with my 4041 computer to
replace the internal DC100 tape drive and load and restore programs from my
Windows 10 PC.

See example Tera Term vector graphics screenshots and color terminal
screenshots in my 4041 thread on vcfed.org:

https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/genres/other/76507-tektronix-4041-computer-from-the-early-1980-s-working?p=970652#post970652

Monty